Tuesday 26 May 2009

New Knee

I went to see the Doctor today, after that little upset with my knee collapsing on me a week or so ago. He says that he thinks it is time to have the knee replacement done. With any luck it will last 15 years, or until I am 78, and by then technology will have advanced. He is writing to the consultant that has to OK the procedure, who i will see in about a month. Then there is about 13 weeks to wait for the op. I came home quite pensive, wondering if I am doing the right thing. maybe I should have held on for a while longer. If I hadn't given up the glucosamine pills in January, would I be in this state now? I don't think the gel that I am using instead is as 'potent'.

Since then I have been working in the garden, becasue I am still very active. That's the sort of thing that makes me wonder if I should have it done or hold on. But then a twist in the wrong way, or putting that foot down heavily, and the pain shoots through my knee, and I am definitely up for it.

Of course, on the way home from the Doctors I stopped in at the bike shop and ordered a new seat post!. That says something.


1 comment:

PMerchant said...

I had to write more to this. On the week before I was to see the consultant about the Knee op, I came off a bicycle and broke my collarbone. When I saw him, we agreed to forget the knee for awhile and look after the collarbone. 10 weeks later, he declared the collarbone fixed, and said that he wouldn't bother having the knee done for awhile yet. So I carry on.

I'm glad. It's not that bad.