Friday 19 July 2019

Reading MRI scans

I found some old MRI scans on a memory stick and thought that I would see if I could read them. It seems that they are in Dicom format but the files are named a00001 etc.

A little research led me to  a reader called Amide [insert hyperlink here] but it didn't work. I discovered that it needed a utility(?) called xmedcon. Both were available in the Kubuntu  repositories. I used a different hard disk because I didn't want it affecting my main disc. I have emailed the creator via sourceforge to see if I can get any help.

Then I had another look and found a list prepared by https://people.cas.sc.edu/rorden/dicom/index.html
and downloaded his program MRIcron. this won't work directly on Dicom files but needs to convert tehm, via a program called mricroGL. This brings up a form to specify the source and destination directories and some buttons for the format, but no 'button' to make it do it. Something I pressed did it, and now I have imported it and can see the MRI results.


It identifies each 'picture' by a number between -127 and 90, but jumps about 6 between each view.
I have it running and am looking at one of the three possible viewing modes [Axial], and I see a large round tube beside the spine. This site identifies it: https://www.kenhub.com/en/library/anatomy/blood-supply-of-the-spinal-cord




No comments: