Wednesday 28 March 2018

Second RC Car

MArch 2018,
I have another RC car that I have modified to be driven by a Raspberry Pi. I am using the same RAspberry Pi and software as I did on the first.

Here is a picture of the rig.

The Hot glue gun is my new favourite tool. I used tabs of glue to hold this battery pack in, and glued the plastic battery holder (white plastic) to the body for the power pack

The electronics are simpler than on the previous car, as there are no feedback wires from the steering gear.  


The IC is labelled RX2C which I take to mean receiver-2-channel and from the schematic I found which pins were the outputs to the motors, as labelled.



Here is the layout on the car. I brought the wires from underneath out to a strip of pins, and labelled them so that I can easily swap them out to try another controller if I get one. The leads from the Raspberry Pi are visible also coming from the GPIO pins to what had been the IC legs, replaced with pins.  To have been tidier I should have bought some leads, but I just quickly cobbled these together. 

It took a bit of testing to get these pins on the pin-strip correct, and the car turning left/right or backwards/forwards as desired. If I did it again I would put the Positive  and Ground leads at either end of the strip to separate them. 

Next thing to do is add a Youtube video of it in operation, then swap the controller board out for this Deek-Robot H Bridge controller that I have bought. 



No comments: